Find Files. Fast!
Use HoudahSpot to find important documents, correspondence, photos, image files, and more.
- Start with a simple search
- Refine it by adding and combining criteria
- Search several folders at once. Exclude others
- Add and sort by any of the hundreds of columns available
- Preview files and text matches
HoudahSpot shows search results in a convenient and easy-to-use interface that keeps all the important details at your fingertips.
Loving the new HoudahSpot 5.0. It consistently finds things that no other search app can find.
I love HoudahSpot - way, way better than Spotlight as a search app for @Apple Mac computer.
HoudahSpot may be the most helpful application I own.
I am a new user of HoudahSpot and wow, just wow!
There’s nothing else like it [HoudahSpot] for Mac users by a long margin.
HoudahSpot is the best-designed and most useful application I’ve ever used.
If there is one utility that is indispensable for me on the Mac, HoudahSpot is it (locates files on disk).
HoudahSpot is absolutely both a necessity and critical in making my workflow life manageable!
A smarter, better, faster way to find files.
Finder works for easy things - HoudahSpot does the heavy lifting.
For me a true killer app since years – helped me so often finding long missed info fast and easy.
This is the most-used app on my MacBook Pro.
The ‘HoudahSpot’ app is simply amazing! I was literally speechless at how good it was.
What you need.
When you need it.
HoudahSpot takes all the tedium out of file search. Use HoudahSpot to locate hard-to-find files and keep frequently used files within reach.
- Word processing files containing “invoice” or “estimate”
- Image files named “logo” that are 512 pixels wide
- Files created, modified, or opened in the last 7 days
- Any file ‐ source code, invoice, letter ‐ mentioning a particular client
HoudahSpot is an essential tool for professionals and power users who work with thousands of files. HoudahSpot picks the needles out of the proverbial haystack.
Powerful File Search
- Find files by name, text, file extension, author, recipient, image resolution, etc.
- Combine criteria to narrow in on the files you need quickly
- Customize columns in the search results list
- Filter the results to see only relevant files
- Set up templates for recurring searches
HoudahSpot is a powerful desktop search tool. It builds upon macOS Spotlight to get you to your files in no time.
Quick Search Field
Find files by typing just a few words.
HoudahSpot starts the search at your command: Hit Return when you are ready.
Refine your Search
Search by name, text, file extension, tags, date created, file size, resolution, author, etc.
Add criteria to narrow down your search. Find the exact files you are looking for.
Combine criteria into boolean operator groups to find files that match any, all, or none of the criteria in the group.
Search text for words, prefixes, or exact phrase. Use “*” as a wildcard for partial matches.
Search several folders at once. Specify which subfolders to include and which to exclude.
HoudahSpot can, for example, search your home folder, skip the Music folder, but still show results from the iTunes folder, which is nested within your Music folder.
Customize results display: view as list, icons, or thumbnails.
Add and sort by any of the hundreds of columns available. See file paths, folder sizes, image dimensions, etc.
Arrange search results in groups by kind, date, size, or application.
Save your perfect setup of criteria, locations, and display options as default for new windows.
Preview & Info
The Info pane, Quick Look, and Text Preview help you explore search results and pick the files you need.
A concise summary shows the most relevant properties of found files. These include file size and modification dates, as well as image dimensions, video duration, etc.
The Info pane also shows detailed file properties and metadata as indexed by Spotlight. Use this information to filter search results or to create new search criteria.
Folding Text Preview
Quick Look and Text Preview let you peek inside found files without having to open them. HoudahSpot’s Text Preview has the unique ability to highlight text you searched for.
HoudahSpot can “fold” the preview to show only text close to highlighted matches. It makes it easier to see the context in which the text was found. You may even be able to pick up the information you are looking for right from the preview.
Save searches as templates. These serve as blueprints to create new searches.
HoudahSpot comes with a set of sample templates. The “My Music” template is set up with useful criteria for finding audio files: composer, lyricist, genre, bit rate, etc.
Templates also allow for quick access to frequently used files. The “Applications” sample template lists all your applications. “Recent Files” will find files opened or modified within the past 7 days.
Power User Features
- Enter advanced queries in the search field
- Copy result lists as tab-delimited text
- Inspect files by dropping them onto the Info window
- Automate search using Apple Script
- Start HoudahSpot searches from third-party tools like Alfred, LaunchBar, Butler, etc.
- Filter search results by name or path
- Match with regular expressions
- Focus on relevant files
- See only files at the top-level of a folder
- Select files sharing a common property
What’s New in HoudahSpot 6
- Search Apple Mail message files *
- Tag cloud. Refine searches using Finder file tags
- Top-level files. List matching files at the root of a folder
- Arrange files by date, size, application, tags, or volume
- Find files having a specific attribute.
E.g. images having GPS coordinates
- Powerful filters. Focus on relevant files
- Recent searches
- Share a search
- New columns in search results
- A quicker way of using Snippets
- Improved support for VoiceOver
What’s New in HoudahSpot 5
- Recent search attributes
- Recent search values
- Recent search locations
- Recent result columns
- Compact mode: more space for drag-and-drop
- Vertical layout: details below results
- Enhanced grid view: file info next to icon or thumbnail
- Text Preview: see only relevant paragraphs
- Faster file tagging: keyboard shortcuts
- Faster file tagging: favorite & recent tags
- Fewer windows: start over in the current window
- Finder extension: toolbar item to search current window
- Finder Quick Action: search selected folder
- Support for macOS Mojave Dark Mode
- Support for the MacBook Pro Touch Bar
- Tab Expose: show overview of all tabs
- Search dates by month and year
- Quicker criteria setup: duplicate existing
- Keyboard shortcuts to duplicate search criteria
- Search field: search by name, text content, or any text
- Filter search results by name, path, or parent folders
- Use regular expressions to filter search results
- Easier to customize default setup
- Reorder Snippets, Templates, and Tags sections in sidebar
- Organize search templates into folders and submenus
- Search names by words or word prefixes
- Find by example: set criteria to match selected files
- Click tags in the Info pane to edit
- Add columns from context menu in Info pane
- Filter search results from context menu in Info pane
- Reveal selected file in Fork Lift
- Send selected file to Default Folder X
- Search bar: search by name, text content, or any text
- Start a HoudahSpot search from Alfred
- Start a HoudahSpot search from LaunchBar
- Start a HoudahSpot search from PopClip
- Print search results as list or contact sheet